THE EXCALIBUR CENTER®
A special place where commitment, education, mentoring, training, opportunity, and hard work come together to forge our community's future leaders.
For centuries, the legend of King Arthur and Excalibur, the mythical, magical sword associated with the rightful sovereignty of Britain, has mesmerized young and old.
In some ancient accounts, a young Arthur ascended to the British throne by pulling a sword sticking out from an anvil atop a large stone that appeared mysteriously in a churchyard on Christmas Eve. The stone had a message etched onto it: "Whoso pulleth out this sword of this stone and anvil, is rightwise king born."
Another version claims that Excalibur was given to Arthur by the Lady of the Lake sometime after he began to reign. However different, both legends agree that Excalibur endowed King Arthur, a valiant and wise young warrior, with special powers, status and success.
That is precisely what The Excalibur Center® will do for foster youths that have aged-out of the system, have nowhere to go, possess minimal resources, and yet are wholeheartedly committed to building a better future for themselves.
The mission of The Excalibur Center® is to provide these youngsters every possible tool to support their dreams, commitment and effort: From housing, nutrition and other personal services, skill development and training, guidance, mentoring, recreational and social enhancement opportunities, and more.
"Whoso pulleth out this sword of this stone and anvil, is rightwise king born."
from "Morte Darthur," Sir Thomas Malory's book on King Arthur and of His Noble Knights of the Round Table
MagicWaste Youth Foundation's plans for The Excalibur Center® call for a spacious multi-use facility that features:
• A residential complex with dorm-style rooms, a centralized kitchen, laundry, lunchroom and social area, and other amenities;
• A study hall and conference room where young residents will participate in mentoring, training and guidance sessions with trained professionals, educators, entrepreneurs, and public officials.
• Green areas with ample space for recreation, exercising and sports.
• Manned by live-in resident hall directors/supervisors, cook, and maintenance staff.
• Daily access to on-site guidance counselors; regular meetings with mentors.
• Monthly participation in business/trade events.
• Code of conduct, cleanliness, discipline, and ethics, including curfew; non-violence/no-drugs-or-alcohol agreement; college attendance and performance requirements; personal space and general facility upkeep responsibilities, etc.
Help Us Make It A Reality!
The Excalibur Center® is an ambitious project that is currently in its planning stages. Our team has already identified several potential sites in Miami-Dade County that meet the overall conditions for such a facility. Members of MWYF's executive board are also in full-fledged conversations with various public and private entities that would become invaluable partners in its development.
To find out more about our project, please visit our CONTACT page and send us a message with the form.
Fundraising for this project is now underway. Interested in becoming a benefactor and helping us make The Excalibur Center® a reality? Just click on the button to the right and explore the many levels of participation. Thank you!